From tecmint ; VirtualBox Guest Additions are a collection of device drivers and system applications designed to achieve closer integration between the host and guest operating systems. They help to enhance the overall interactive performance and usability of guest systems.
The VirtualBox Guest Additions offer the following features:
- Easy mouse pointer integration.
- Easy way to share folders between the host and the guest.
- Drag and drop feature allows copying or opening files, copy clipboard formats from the host to the guest or from the guest to the host.
- Share clipboard (for copy and paste) of the guest operating system with your host operating system.
- Better video support provides accelerated video performance.
- Better Time synchronization between guest and host.
- Standard host/guest communication channels.
Installing Guest Additions on CentOs 8
CentOS is a Linux distribution that provides a free, community-supported computing platform functionally compatible with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Install build depencies
Step1: Change to root user
sudo -i or su -
Step2: Make sure you are using the latest kernel
# yum update
Step3: Install Packages necessary for build
# yum install gcc make kernel-devel kernel-headers elfutils-libelf-devel bzip2 perl
Step4: Mount guest additons iso
Step5: Install guest additions
# cd /media/VirtualBoxGuestAdditions
Step6: Reboot guest system
# reboot now